Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Code Words: HUSKY

Why is it that upon walking into a big & tall store the first thing one is likely to lay eyes on is a rack of shirts that say "Big DAWG" or "Big Daddy" these shirts are not only redundent (people know if you are a big guy already without a helpful sign) but they are offensive.

They take me back to a time when I was a kid. Most Big Guys started out in life as Big Kids. If you're like me then you may have had a hard time coping with the fact that not only did you look different from everyone else but you also had to slip into a size of clothing called HUSKY. Yes rather than have number sizes clothing was also divided and grouped with names. My name was HUSKY which I'm pretty sure is a type of dog or "Dawg" if you will.
This wasn't really something I was ever ashamed of but it did have side effects. It was the institutional idea that I could be labeled and that labeling was acceptable since it was helping me find jeans that fit. And so when people begin to reject their labels I say why? Did you ever have to buy pants according to you label? No? Then shut up and enjoy your label. I've been fitted with one and so must you so must we all. For as long as there are HUSKY pants there is a label out there and if you shed one you must be willing to shed them all.
HUSKY!

No comments:

Post a Comment